V6 Vortec to V8 Vortec Conversion

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Thu Aug 16 19:23:03 GMT 2001

> From: Len Sabatine [mailto:sabatine at epix.net]
> Subject: Re: V6 Vortec to V8 Vortec Conversion
>
>      While the PC Dyno program may be giving some cool gross
> HP numbers ,
>      I would be looking at the shape of the torque curve more
> closely ,
> especially
>      with an OBD2 PCM. Overall , a LT1 F-Y Body production
> cam w 1.6 rockers
>      will drive better and be easier to get up and running.

The ZZ3 cam in my LT1 runs wonderfully, even in a 4200 lb car with the stock
low-stall TC.  I'd use it over the stock LT1 cam any day, because I think it
offers a power advantage without adding tuning difficulties or a loss of
low-end.  The Crane/GM '845 cam is also a very good choice; probably better
than the ZZ3 for Vortec or LT1 engines.

The LT4 HOT cam is fairly large for a 350, and will present some minor
tuning issues.  It's also too large for 3.08 rear-end gears, in my opinion.
Impala guys are running them in 350 LT1s and getting great results (even in
those heavy boats), but it takes a fairly loose convertor (not an issue with
a manual, of course) and some low rear-end gears (3.73 or 4.10)to take
advantage of it.  Of course, it takes some revs to make power, too, and so
the bottom end better be capable of going over 6k on a regular basis.  If
one has an aversion to spinning the motor that fast, take a step back to the
ZZ3 or '845.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.bryantperformance.com