Heater Test of DIY-WB

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Aug 17 16:22:55 GMT 2001

Working out solutions to practical issues like this makes
these projects take longer than you think.  Another route
would be to put 15 resistors of 15 ohms 1/4 watt 1% in
parallel.  Cost from DigiKey $1.62.  Now you have accuracy
without a calibration procedure, but you are using some
board space instead of a heat sinked resistor.  A 5 watt
1 ohm 5% is only $.41

My feeling is the current limiting isn't that critical to sensor
life, since you will running in the voltage limit mode most
of the time.  On the other hand, dropping out of voltage
mode is bad.  I say go for a current high enough to get
warmup in 45-60 seconds.  Maybe a better test is the
current after full warmup.  If it is close to current limiting,
you need to increase the current limiting value.

Bruce Roe