V6 Vortec to V8 Vortec Conversion

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Sat Aug 18 15:32:39 GMT 2001

     SAE J1850  [ GM VPW ].  No BLM or INT. Now, Long - Short Term Fuel Trim.
     LT Fuel , ST Fuel.     There's  Engine Data List [s] 1 and 2.
     HO2s are arranged as Bank 1 - 2 , Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 on each Bank.
V6- 8.
     [ Pre and Post Cat Monitoring . Sensor #2 is monitoring Cat Oxygen content
     Ratio].   You see a minimum of 4 HO2s. on the Data Screen.

     OBD2 is very different than OBD1. If you don't understand OBD1 , OBD2
     will be more difficult . The Data Stream , Dual 10.4 - 41.6 Kbs baud
rates ,
     and Communication interface to PC  have no likeness to 8192 Uart in
OBD1 GMs.

     Scan Tools use the 10.4 Kbs Mode.     Programming is 41.6 Kbs  Block
mode,
     Security and PCM Unlock is  Totally Different than OBD1  Commands and
Requests.
     The Chip on Most Scan Tools is not capable of the Programming Mode.
Nor is code present
     to accomplish the task. If 1 PCM family is opened , The Keys to the
castle may still Not
     be in hand. Sort of like throwing a baseball at a train car that's
moving @ 100 Mph,
     expecting it to hit the target inside an open window , if it's even open.

     There is NO SAE Documentation about Down - Up Load of firmware , since
it's termed
     as Manufacturer Specific Code. Shelling out $100 for SAE HS3000
Manual  provides
     No information to help would be programmers. Great Manual to help
build scan tools tho.
     Hopefully ,  this information may save some folks from chasing their
tails , while working
     with OBD2 PCMs.
     Len