why humid is better!

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Tue Aug 21 19:45:48 GMT 2001

What actually happens to injected in the combustion seems to be a bit
controversial, and I don't pretend to understand much about that.

When using forced induction, has anyone addressed the lowering of MAT temps
via water injection?  Seems to me, there are great gains to be had in turbo
operation there.  I've got an Aquamist system on my Syclone - using the
original undersized turbo @ 18 psi, without water injection, I'd get a MAT
rise of around 50deg F in 15 seconds of operation.  With water injection,
about 20deg F temp rise.  Now that I'm using a more efficient TE60
compressor, at 18# boost, MATs actually drop a degree or two below ambient.
 Along w/ these elevated temps, came a need to reduce timing to prevent
detonation.

Colder = denser, 10deg temp drop = 1% more power, etc.

Apparently, large additional gains in this department can be had by
injecting a very cold alky/water mix - cold like subzero, chilled w/ dry ice.

My take on it is that, like higher octane gas, its of no/little value by
itself unless you tune your engine specifically for its use.

FWIW, YMMV, etc - Barry