why humid is better!

Roger Heflin rahmrh at cableone.net
Tue Aug 21 23:27:12 GMT 2001

ae2598 at wayne.edu wrote:

> I think the bottom line is you're cooling the combustion chambers.  It's
> the latent heat of fusion, or something like that :)
>
> Isn't that why people inject water into the intake?  Or, in the past how a
> "power" A/F mixture was considered to be a rich mixture?

No, water vapor is already vaporized it has no latent heat of fusion,
and is in no way shape or form the same as injecting liquid water into
the intake.

Injecting water in the intake will result in the water being vaporised
in the intake, but this will also result in the overall charge being
cooled which is a good thing, humidity won't do this because it is
already vaporized.   And water vapor in the air (humidity) also
displaces air (pressure stays constant), and the water vapor has
no useable oxygen.

				Roger