why humid is better!

Roger Heflin rahmrh at cableone.net
Wed Aug 22 23:41:23 GMT 2001

Barry Tisdale wrote:

> I cannot believe all the speculation & theories on this matter - has there
> been NO authoratative work done on this since Sir Whatshisname did some
> research 50 years ago??  It can't ALL be proprietary & unpublished info!
> Water injection is too widely used to be just a black art w/o any actual
> data supporting just what it does.
>
> Enquiring minds want to know......the data.....the truth is out there.......

Barry,

My discussions are not speculation.  The are straight out of the thermodynamics
book, and quite well understood from an engineering point of view for how
and why things work.

It is quite well understood, if you inject liquid water into the intake, all of
that water (most of it at least) will vaporize before it goes out the exhaust
port, and in the process cool down things because of the energy required to
convert the liquid water into gaseous water.   The extra steam *may* also
assist in cleaning carbon deposits to some extent.

This is not the issue with humidity, it is already vapor at the time it
goes through the air filter, so there is no cooling down from it, and it
displaces air, and therefore gives you less oxygen to use, it hurts
performance.

				Roger