humid is better in turbines

KasaRyan at aol.com KasaRyan at aol.com
Thu Aug 23 05:46:04 GMT 2001

Whoo Whee! opened up a can o worms on this one!

Ok, one of the reasons I put in the explaination I did was that I knew that
some early jet aircraft, the 707 among them, would dump hundreds of gallons
of water into the combustion chambers of the engines on takeoff.  This
probably lowered the temp slightly, but more importantly dramatically
increased the volume of what was coming out the back of the engine, and also
pushing on the turbine to compress more air.  The more force you chuck out
the back, the more the plane goes forward!  Sir Issac had that one down, as
far as Harry ricardo goes, I dont have his book on combustion chamber design,
but I do believe he plugged away at it for a while.

Roger, you seem to have the thermo book handy, so I would like this
calculated.  If you have one gram(or cc) of water at 100C, and you add enough
energy to vaporize it into gas, how much energy does this take, and at 1 ATM,
how much volume does it take up once vaporization is complete?  If you take 1
cc of air at 100C, and you add the same amount of energy, is the resulting
volume increase more or less than for the water which goes thru the state
change.  (IS this PV=nRT? or something of that sort)

I believe I was wrong on the water being in a liquid form on a humid day, but
what if you use injection, and have liquid water in the combustion chamber.

If this goes on too long, i will probably have to dust off the books and look
it up myself.

Thanks for listening to my electroyappin!
Ryan Hampl - a K-State Grad!  kasaryan at aol.com
139 Hoover CT                      Controls Engineer
Salina, KS  67401                  97 B12 / 93 chevy truck
phone  (785) 825 5831
I'M ALWAYS FIRST TO THE GROCERY STORE!
http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan">Ryan Hampl and his happenin'