Assembly guestion

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Fri Aug 24 05:30:54 GMT 2001

Bruce wrote:

> When using ashc11, is there a way to scroll page by page when the assembly
> fails being assembled?.  So as to see where all the errors are?.

If you are running ASHC11 at a DOS prompt, then you'll see
each error line on the console. Here's what I mean. It shows
a pass 2 error because label "xxx" is not defined.

  D:\>ashc11 bad.a
  ASHC11 - 68HC11 Macro Assembler v2.01 (c) Copyright 2001 Tech Edge Pty. Ltd.
  Pass 1 bad.a -- 0 error(s), 0 warning(s).
  ERROR line 3 bad.a -- Symbol "xxx" undefined Pass 2.
  ->      jmp     xxx
  Pass 2 bad.a -- 1 error(s), 0 warning(s).
  bad.S19 -> 3 bytes code/data.
  End assembly, 4 code lines, memory used: far=0 (0%) near=512 (0%).

By default ASHC11 will abort after 20 errors so that most errors
will show on the screen (if you run a 50 line console). Note that
the line number is displayed in the error message, so you know where
to look. You can change how many errors before an abort by using the
-errorlimit (abbreviation is "-e") as in:

 D:\>ashc11 bad.a -e=100

Here are all ASHC11's options:

Usage: ASHC11 sourcefile [file ... ] -[option[=parameter] ... ]

  Cycles              Show cycle count in list.
  Errorlimit=<count>  Set error limit.
  Intel               Create Intel Hex rather than S19.
  List[=<file>]       Create a list file (and optionally name it).
  Macrolist           List macros in list file.
  Outfile=<file>      Change default out file name.
  P1list              Produce pass one list to console.
  Symbollist          List symbols in list file.
  Timeinfo            Display execution times.
  Verbose             Verbose display of files processed.
  Xpand               Expand macros in list file.
  ?                   Show this help page.

Peter.