why humid is better!

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Wed Aug 22 21:49:15 GMT 2001

Bruce wrote:

> Hmm, I thought to change states, ie from liquid to gas, takes energy.

That's true, it's why sweating cools you off.

> So for water to change states, it has to boil to turn into a gas, taking
> many calories to do this.  Water can evaporate, but in that case it's still
> liquid.  Water can exist as a gas only when the temp is above *about* 212dF,

Water vapor in the air is a gas.  There's enough energy in the
environment for some of the water to evaporate (change phase) below
212.  At 212 there's too much energy in the environment for any water to
remain liquid at standard temp.  Humidity (ie water vapor) is water in
gaseous form, not liquid form.  Until you get to 100% and fog forms,
which is liquid because it gets you wet.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com