DIY-WB defined

cmillard at crutchfield.com cmillard at crutchfield.com
Fri Aug 24 20:01:33 GMT 2001

Rob,
    The purpose of the Do-it-yourself Wideband O2 sensor is to replicate a
air to fuel ratio tuning tool that normally is only available starting off
at $1,500(est.)

Why:
Most factory fuel injection systems use a NB (Narrow Band) O2 sensor, or
two, or four, which are really only accurate at stoich (14.7:1) This is
useless for WOT (Wide Open Throttle) tuning, since we're shooting to tune
anywhere from 11.0:1 (big blown) - 13.1:1 (NA) at this point.

So:
A wideband sensor is accurate in a wider spectrum, giving us the ability to
tune the AFR's we need. An interface will be needed to report the data (bar
gauge, digital gauge, voltage output to pcm for logging, whatever.)

Thus:
The DIY project allows individuals to buy a PCB, a parts kit, and an
inexpensive (couple hundred est.) factory wideband sensor for input.

Conclusion:
I've watched this project for a long time and envy the wealth of knowledge
shared in development, I wish I could have contributed, but It's way outside
my field (and caliber).

I have faith in the project and my skills, so I'm going for it. DIY is the
way to go when other methods aren't cost effective.

Hope this helps,
-Christian