WB Display 17-15 & 13-11

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Sat Aug 25 20:27:07 GMT 2001

The first shot at a universal bar graph display was
calculated out like this.  The thought was to use a
couple of green 10 segment parts and a couple of
10 segment red parts.  As designed, you could put
a 10 segment bar in to cover 10.89 to 12.98.  It would
only take about 6 segments to cover 15 to 17, due
to the nonlinearity  of the F/A numbers.  Probably some
4 or 8 segment bars could be used to customize.

If we make a universal ckt bd, the first thought is to
display what the sensor can measure.  The numbers
would stay spaced as shown, whether you actually
put in an LED in a position or not.  The 2 center 10
segment driver chips will be necessary; the outer
ones are only needed if there are LEDS to drive.

Part of the problem of having narrow windows, is any
inaccuracy in the measurement may put you off scale.
Like an 85mph speedo, off scale could mean 86 or it
could be 186.  Now that the calbration resistor feature
has been worked out, the system should be close.
But I'm hoping some of you with the necessary facilities
will do an accuracy check on the WB project.

You may notice the F/A column, directly proportional to
fuel added, is linear over the entire range.

LED      A/F        F/A

GRN  10.00  .10000
GRN  10.17  .09836
GRN  10.34  .09672
GRN  10.52  .09508
GRN  10.70  .09344
GRN  10.89  .09180
GRN  11.09  .09016
GRN  11.30  .08852
GRN  11.51  .08688
GRN  11.73  .08524
GRN  11.96  .08360
GRN  12.20  .08196
GRN  12.45  .08032
GRN  12.71  .07868
GRN  12.98  .07705
GRN  13.26  .07541
GRN  13.56  .07377
GRN  13.86  .07213
GRN  14.19  .07049
GRN  14.52  .06885
RED  14.88  .06721
RED  15.25  .06557
RED  15.64  .06393
RED  16.05  .06229
RED  16.49  .06065
RED  16.95  .05901
RED  17.43  .05737
RED  17.94  .05573
RED  18.49  .05409
RED  19.07  .05245
RED  19.68  .05081
RED  20.34  .04917
RED  21.04  .04753
RED  21.79  .04589
RED  22.55  .04425
RED  23.47  .04261
RED  not used
RED  not used
RED  not used
RED  not used

The last 4 LEDs are not used, but could be hooked
up to things like power on, heater hot, etc.

I could easily see leaving off the bottom 10 LEDs
and driver, stopping at 19:1.  Just leave out the parts.
For custom scales, the 2 amps driving the rich and
lean sections could be customized for individuals.
It is a matter of changing the gain and offset of the
driver amp.

Bruce Roe