Computing MPH

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Aug 27 18:18:36 GMT 2001

You can read about it in the Sept issue of C&D.  They used it to collect
0-30,60,100 times, 1/4 mile ET/speed, braking time, and track lap time
all in a single outing.

It's a tuner shootout article, 600+hp $100K+ corvettes, MBs, mazdas, and
porsches.

The thing I like is that the Vbox shows the stock Z06 vette CLEARLY
BEATING the stock 911 turbo in all categories except 0-30.  It's FASTER
0-everything else, faster 1/4 mile, better lap time, better braking,
etc.  Plus the Lingenfelter Z06 took home top honors in the tuner
shootout.  A good day for vette fans.

Price on the Vbox was about $3K I think.  You're correct, it measures
the doppler shift of the GPS satellite signals to measure velocity.  The
GPS info itself isn't nearly accurate enough.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com