Turbo V8

Jon Fedock galadar at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 28 03:19:36 GMT 2001

    Small world. I ran into every problem you can think of doing this
project<chuckle>. I went with the twins because the turbos are cheap and
plentiful ($25 each, but takes lots of work to get those Chryslers to let
go!). I had some experience helping a friend put a turbo on a 4 cyl Toyota.
He used regular exhaust pipe for it(exhaust manifold), and it still works,
but lots of maintence is required (welding cracks). I bought the truck from
him when he got tired of fooling with it. While putting on another turbo (he
kept his t3/t4), I slotted all the bolt holes for heat expansion, and this
helped immensly. I also cut the flange in the center after it pulled out the
exhaust studs. Anyway, I had decided against that for mine, and made mine
(ehaust manifolds) from cast iron. It took a while to get them right, as
cast iron is not very forgiving, and I am not a very good welder. I ruined
alot of manifolds and wasted alot of expensive nickel rod, but in the end
came out with some VERY durable pieces. They have been glowing BRIGHT quite
a few times. Really shows you where the restrictions are. I tried pictures
of the glowing, but they didn't turn out. They have not cracked yet. Well, I
guess really the biggest problems were the exhaust manifolds to fabricate.
Of course trying to tune while spinning in drive is another kind of problem
altogether....:)
    I was going to take it to the track after this racing season is over
(roundy round), as that takes up my weekends, but sold the car body a couple
of weeks ago. I'm going to put the motor and all into something else this
winter (after racing season anyway). So, I cannot validate the combination
with numbers. Sorry. You'll just have to use your imagination ;)
Jon
www.geocities.com/jonfedock