(Dis)Assembler 101 (2)

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Wed Aug 29 02:41:39 GMT 2001

This is the next edition (2) of Assembler/Disassembler 101. The first
edition was entitled "Assembler/Disassembler 101"

I recognise there is a large variation of expertise among list members
so I'll pitch things at a level I'd expect serious learners, with little
prior knowledge, to keep up with.

First thing you need to do is get a "programmers editor" - an editor
that is fast, can edit multiple buffers (files) at once, and shows things
in raw source form. I regularly use Brief and Notespad and I'll look at
Zeus just in case anyone thinks this is a better option.

 1. NoteSpad - not Notepad (no "S") - it's FREE software:

    http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/notespad_32.html

 2. Brief - a DOS programmers editor that was sold by Underware (not
    underWEAR) but I can't see anyone offering it any more. This is
    a really great DOS programmers editor you can put on a single floppy.

 3. There is a freeware Windows clone of Brief available called Zues:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/  - it claims to be Brief compatible

Also, some people think that drag and drop is better than typing into
a DOS box - here's some info on how to make DOS work for you - this is
necessary reading if you're going to keep up.

  http://www.techedge.com.au/utils/doscmds.htm

Also, remember to set up your Windows File Explorer options to make sure
you see all file extensions and no files are hidden from view.

That's it for 101 (2). Someone suggested a couple of interesting
topics for future editions, so stay tuned as I'll be delving into
some (im)practical uses for your P4 ECM (not necessarily to control your
engine).

lastly, send comments to me, not the list, and I'll summarise for the
list if necessary:

  mailto:peter at techedge.com.au?subject=(Dis)Assembly

Peter.