Turbo V8

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Wed Aug 29 04:25:12 GMT 2001

At 4:06 PM 8/28/01, AntiVenmVette007 at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 08/27/2001 8:50:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>gary.heuston at afwa.af.mil writes:
>

>> shows you how to fabricate a header on your own...they say it holds up well.
>>
>> Gary
>> gary.heuston at afwa.af.mil
>>

>> brettd at texan.net wrote:
>>
>> > my big question is where can i get/make an exhaust manifold
>> > for the turbo's?? I can fab the cooling and oil lines.  As
>> > well as run the intake piping and exhauset but i still am
>> > trying to figure out the exhaust manifold?
>> >

>     Ok, out of lurk mode for a bit. I was planning on trying a twin Turbo V8
>on my vette in the not so near future. I plan to use the stock, short headers
>and leaving only a 180 Degree "J" tube and turbo flange to complete my head
>to turbo plumbing. Does anybody see a problem with this?? Why get all crazy
>and custom fab a whole header when theres so many companies making "shorty"
>or "block hugger" headers??
>    Justin,C4 Vette L98 TPI

Depends only on how long you want them to last.

Properly done 321 SS headers, with proper expansion joints are the _ONLY_
(tubular) material that will take the temperature that turbo headers will
see for any long period of time.

The 321 is strong (and stiff) enough at high temps that the lack of joints
won't hurt it--but will very likely break things that it is attached
to--like heads and/or turbo housings!

Greg