VSS Signal conditioner

Adam Chant adam at mysaturn.com
Fri Aug 31 06:20:51 GMT 2001

OK, here's where the stupid question comes in. I say it's stupid because my solution
is to just hack the PCM, but other people see this as a safe solution. I digress...

Say you get the SGI-5 and place it between the VSS and PCM. You set the SGI-5
to 1/2 sample the VSS signal an affectivly double your maximum MPH limit.
OR
You have a switch enable the SGI-5 w/ 1/2 sampling just before the normal cut
off, offering the same solution.

Does the engine RPM come from the VSS or CPS?
Aren't the Timing and Fuel maps based on RPM?

Acording to 2 FSM's (OBDI and OBDII):
"The PCM uses VSS input to provide vehicle speed to the instrument cluster for
the speedometer. On vehicles equipped with cruise control, this signal also
goes to the cruise control module and PCM."

-Adam