Need recommendations on tools.

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 03:41:37 GMT 2001

Speaking of cheap but effective tools (and screwdrivers, which I believe was
what the original question was about), I have a little tip that I have not
heard mentioned yet.  I became aware about this through gunsmithing... hollow
ground screwdrivers.  These are essential if you don't want to mar (or strip
for that matter)  your screws.
I have yet to find a good set of automotive type screw drivers that are
hollow ground.  But the cheapie asian sets that come with the ratchet screw
drivers are hollow ground and work great.
Hollow ground blades are concave, not flat.  And they grip the screws without
stripping them.  The cheapie asian drivers usually break long before they
strip the screw, but this is a good thing if it is a $10 -$30 screw.  And it
is not before putting a lot of torque on them, either.
I have a few these cheap ratchet screwdriver sets and I use them for almost
everything.  They are far superior to the conventional types, as long as they
aren't being used as a pry-bar or chisel!
Ted