Ecm role expanding?

Rich Vandervoort richvandervoort at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 6 17:31:20 GMT 2001

Unfortunately a defeat switch would cause an instant brake lockup.  If you
are doing threshold braking on a non ABS car you approach optimal brake
pressure relatively slowly and modulate about that pressure.  If you defeat
ABS during an ABS event you will usually have a large pressure head on the
master cylinder side of the ABS unit.  This pressure will be released at ABS
defeat and cause an instant 4 wheel lockup.  You then have to release the
brake and recover control.  At this point you have no idea what pedal force
is needed for threshold braking.  Also the defeat is a one shot deal you
could not turn ABS off and then turn it back on during and ABS stop.  The
ABS systems vehicle reference speed would loose accuracy and therefore
couldn't control the brakes properly.  I remember once watching a car with
four wheels locked up sliding down a hill.  I think the car got up to 15 to
20 mph before it plowed into a snow bank and stopped.  It was common
practise in this town to put one wheel into the snowbank to slow yourself
while going downhill.

Rich V.