Ecm role expanding? (DBW)

Chipsbyal at aol.com Chipsbyal at aol.com
Sun Jan 7 15:24:04 GMT 2001

The Vette does use drive by wire, started in 97 with the C5. I've drove and
repaired a few of these. If I didn't tell you it was drive by wire, you
probably couldn't tell. The system uses a "TAC" module (throttle actuator
control) to operate the throttle body. This setup eliminates the need for a
throttle cable, cruise control cable and necessary hardware, IAC valve, and
all of the traction control pieces. So there is a pricey TPS your foot is on,
a TAC module and an electric throttle body. The most trouble I've had with
them is not perfect connections between the PCM and TAC modules. Incidentally
both are mounted directly beneath the battery on the passenger side frame
rail. Other vehicles are also coming with this gadgetry as well. The new
F-body, Silverado with traction control are among them. The 6.5 turbo diesel
has had a similar setup since ~94.
AL

www.ChipsByAl.com