removing prom from memcal

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Wed Jan 10 06:27:44 GMT 2001

Hoo Boy.

I dunno why so many guys like to use stone knives and bear skins to do
this job.  I have had great success using one of Rat Shack's 15? watt
cheapie solder irons.  The pencil tip is just right for melting solder at
the eprom pin / socket junction.  Apply some pressure to the factory
solder joints with the iron and you'll feel the solder break and release
the pins.  The old eprom can be carefully lifed out using a small
screwdriver.  Sometimes a couple of pins will need to be re-heated as the
chip is removed.  The solder doesn't always break completely.  A new chip
can be pushed back in, a small amount of solder applied to the tip of the
iron, and a quick touch to the intersection of each pin/base junction
solders the joints back together.  This works extremely well for me, and I
keep the soldering iron in the carry case with the eprom burner, in case I
happen to get one of those blasted 27128 eproms which my Pocket Programmer
doesn't seem to burn.

Shannen