Plenums

mike turner miketurner at ieee.org
Tue Jan 16 03:32:40 GMT 2001

Most of this makes sense.

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> It allows the air to lose ineritia and bend around to fill the runners
> without having to lose energy.

I understand losing inertia (it has to slow down in the larger volume)
but
I don't understand "filling the runners without having to lose energy".

> My turn what's a plena?.

My Webster's says that's plural for plenum.

> Bruce

This sounds like the ideal plenum may be, uh, a really big box hooked
to short runners for high rpm. Or have I totally missed the point. Which
brings up runner size. My guess is that runners be more than the volume
of a cylinder
to have enough to fill the cylinder. More volume would be bad since the
air column
would have to rebound like a spring when the valve closes. Am I close?