Plenums

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Wed Jan 17 06:07:43 GMT 2001

The way I have thought of it is imagine having a straw sticking out of a
metal sphere filled with air. the sphere has a small intake hole in the
other end (pinhole). If you draw a breath on the straw, and the sphere is 2
inches in diameter, you will produce a vacuum faster (you will evacuate the
reserve faster) than if the ball is 3 feet in diameter and you draw thru the
straw at the same rate. the larger sphere will allow more of a buffer to
rapidly draw-on while the intake is trying to let air into the sphere.
eventially the sphere runs out of reserve, and there is zero vacuum.

With this in mind, imagine a 1 inch pipe run from an intake plenum, on the
other end of that pipe is a 10 gallon cyllinder, sealed to outside. plenum
'reserve buffer' volume is increased but the radiuses are left tight.

I think too much sometimes, sorry.