O2 questions

Doug Mansfield mansfied at ohiou.edu
Thu Jan 18 14:11:54 GMT 2001

I have an 85 G body with a CCC carb.  After going to headers and a 350, I
now have an O2 sensor problem.  The sensor is located in the collector.  At
various times, the Check Engine light will come on, always reporting an
error 13 (O2 circuit).

I had the opportunity to finally work on it.  When I hook up my Fluke meter
to the O2 lead going to the ECM (leaving the ECM in circuit) and turn the
key on, I immediately get a .400V readout.  Why is the .4V coming from the
ECM?

I also picked up a heated Bosch (4 wire) sensor.  I know that two wires are
for heating, one is a ground and one is the signal.  How are these hookup
up?  Do I simply take the ground lead to chassis ground?  Which lead is
which (two white, one black, one gray)?  I assume the white is the heating
element as there is 2.5 Ohm across them.  I also assume the black is ground
and therefore the gray is the signal I would hook back to the ECM.

Thanks,

--
Doug Mansfield
mansfield at cns.ohiou.edu