Donor found!

OneSS2NV at aol.com OneSS2NV at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 16:05:15 GMT 2001

In a message to the List, Bill writes:

<< It's an '87 305 TPI A4 with a '165 ECU.  It's a little older than I had
hoped for,  but looks like it should work just fine. >>

   It will.  We swapped an '87 TPI into my '85 Monte SS (original CCC Q-jet,
like your wagon) without too many hassles.  Get factory wiring diagrams for
the TPI and CCC; they'll be your biggest help.  If you get a second, check
out the Tech Section at www.g-body.org.  There's a basic write-up of a TPI
swap into a Monte, like wires need to be swapped and such.

<< My main concern is CT Emissions might frown on an older motor transplanted
into a 'newer' vehicle,  even though the emissions should be significantly
better than the q-jet that's on the wagon now.  Were there any significant
differences from '87 to '88, or is it basically the same drive train? >>

   Basically the same.  Does your '88 wagon have a serpentine belt, or the
separate pulleys?  If its exactly like the TPI motor, you're in business.  If
you make it look stock, the smog nazis won't really have a clue.  I haven't
been to inspection yet here in NJ with the TPI, but it should pass smog
without a problem.  It was built with emissions-legal parts, and runs clean.
If you want to see some pics, check out my website - www.bowtiepower.com.

     HTH,
       Steve Ragusa
        North Jersey