GM Fuel Pump control scheme

ae2598 at wayne.edu ae2598 at wayne.edu
Tue Jan 30 03:27:24 GMT 2001

Since the Vega was brought up earlier, I figured I'd dig out my '71 shop
manual and take a peek at the theory of operation.  I quote:

"The fuel pump is energized when the ignition key is in the start
(cranking) position.  After the engine starts, the pump receives current
through the oil pressure safety switch as long as there is approximately 2
pounds of oil pressure.  If, for any reason, the oil pressure drops below
2 pounds, the contact is broken at the pressure switch and the pump is
de-activated."

The wiring diagram shows one terminal of the OP switch connected to the
starter, just like the old-school distributors.  This must be the cranking
bypass feature.

Now, they don't really define what they mean by "safety", but I'll bet
they're thinking about collision, fire, or some other catastrophe that
would cause the crank to stop turning.  Protection of the engine is
presumably left up to the operator.  The intent must be similar to Ford's
"slam switch" that they so cleverly hide in the trunk, which opens the
fuel pump circuit upon impact.