Supercharged holden commodore ecu and other fun topics

Daniel Collins bossute at one.net.au
Tue Jan 30 13:44:45 GMT 2001

Zak
Basically the engine does not go into boost between the blower and the
throttle body (the boost is between the blower and intake valves) ,
therefore to the ecu it just appears that the engine has a VERY good
volumetric efficiency.AS I said this will only work with a positive
displcement blower.The engine is mapped to what fueling and ignition
requirements are at each load point.
ie at 3200 rpm the blower will make .8bar  boost when the engine is at WOT
this correspond to 100kpa between the blower and the throttle body , if i
close the throttle slightly the map sensor reading drops to 80kpa and the
blower is throttled dropping the boost the engine sees.
I will reiterate this WILL NOT WORK WITH A TURBO OR BLOW THROUGH
SUPERCHARGER.
The other important consideration is that a positive displacment blower will
always make Xbar of boost at Yrpm if at Ztps whereas a turbo is not so
predictable.
I have also used a 2 bar map sensor on turbo cars but this halves the
resolution of the maps and I would advise against doing it - (maybe someone
can patch the code to increase the size of the tables to make this possible
?)

Some calibrations that Ive seen do use a 1 bar map sensor on a 2bar engine
and ignore what happens after 1bar  and just try and run rich /low timing to
allow it to be right at 2bar THIS IS ABSOLUTE CRAP the engine can never
perform properly , may as well put a carby on it and a mecahnical advance
dizzy rather than spending your hard earned dollars on a chip from these
people.

When I am doing something on my own car I will try anything to see if it
gets a positive result , "nessecity is the mother of invention" but you must
always remenber to sit back and look at what you have just done and all the
implications of the changes you have made.

Oh well enough of my rantings , the missus reckons she needs me in the bed
so I had better do as I am told

Daniel Collins