offlist: cleanning a intake

Mathieu Blais fireb76 at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 7 21:51:02 GMT 2001

I went to scrap yard this past weekend, and got a nice cast intake but it's
a bit rusted.  I was thinking about clening the intake same as they do with
engine blocks.  I think they put the block in some kind of acid, really not
sure about the one to use, I think it might be caustic.  I have access to
sulfuric acid, acetic acid, hydrochloric acid and caustic soda.  Would any
of those be good for cleaning.  At what mixing percentage?  If ever I want
to sandblast it after, should I get the plate removed from under the intake,
because I did heard people ruin their engines because there was sand trapped
under that shield.  Thanks

    Math blais
    fireb76 at videotron.ca