Building electronic instruments/ engine controllers

KasaRyan at aol.com KasaRyan at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 01:27:39 GMT 2001

gmecm-digest-owner at diy-efi.org writes:

> Re: Building electronic instruments/ engine controllers

Larry, what I think you want to do is build an experimental aircraft with a
digital dash.

One of the best ways I can think of is for you to go to automationdirect.com

If you use some of their new touchscreen panels for use as a display and
possibly control of noncritical functions, and use a DL250 plc as a data
gatherer, you can attatch any type of analog or digital input or output
device. such as speed, direction, pressure(altitude).  Even G-force
accelerometers on a chip for about 20 bucks.  It even has closed loop so it
could control cabin pressure, for example.  It even has a high speed input so
you could use it to measure RPM, or schedule service reminders.  You can make
the software meters look anyway you want, and can use imported graphics to
show visuals of wheel and flap condition for instance.  Without an interface
module, you can only run one toughscreen at a time, though. You could even
have it do datalogging as a black box function. You would probably have a
couple of grand in it by the time you are done. Although it would be capable,
I would not use it as an engine controller on aircraft.  Either use Subaru
Injection, or 2 BMW/Bing altitude compensating carbs.  Automation.com's stuff
is highly reliable, we use them at philips for mission critical applications,
and all of their manuals are on line.  Please call or email me if you want
more info.  These units could also be used by anyone who wants to have a
totally integrated vehicle dash and control box.  Run your HVAC, windows,
step up that second fuel pump under boost, run an elctronic transmission,
make a cool visual of your vehicle, etc.

Thanks for listening to my electroyappin!
Ryan Hampl - a K-State Grad!  kasaryan at aol.com
139 Hoover Ct.                     Controls Engineer
Salina, KS  67401                  97 B12 / 93 chevy truck
phone  (785) 825 5831
I'M ALWAYS FIRST TO THE GROCERY STORE!
http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan">Ryan Hampl and his happenin'