Retrofitting EFI on an old Buick

Kevin Wright krwright at wankel.net
Tue Jul 10 19:29:40 GMT 2001

He's talking about the aluminum Buick/Olds V8 from 1962-63. This may
actually be an easier conversion than you think - that motor is still
in production!
Rover of England bought it way back then, and the same basic engine
is powering Land Rovers and Range Rovers all over the place. Don't
know what type of FI the Land Rovers are running, but you may be able
to use some bits from it, such as intake manifold or distributor, if
it has one. I don't know if any changes have been made since the '60s
that would cause problems, so caveat emptor.
Also, there is still a low-key aftermarket support for the 215s -
there may be an HEI conversion available, and if so, I've seen an
article on converting any HEI to the computer-controlled version.

Some character called Bruce said:
>Is that a v-8 or v-6?.
>If 8 no problem, just need a FEI type distributor. if a v6 then need to know
>if it's even fire or odd fire.  Odd Fire your sunk, even fire then just need
>to scrounge parts.  If v6 manifolds should be available.
>Bruce
>

>From: "Carr, Chris" <ChrisCarr at fresno.ca.gov>
>Subject: Retrofitting EFI on an old Buick
>>  I have a friend who is building a 215 Buick motor for a dune buggy, and
>he'd
>>  like to put EFI on it.  I was considering drilling the stock manifold for
>>  injector bungs, using one of those L shaped adaptors to mount the throttle
>>  body and going with a '730 system.  My concern would be the distributor.
>>  don't know enough about those motors to know what might work.  I thought
>I'd
>>  bring it up to the experience here to see what you all think.
>>  Does this sound feasible?
>>  Chris

Kevin Wright
krwright at wankel.net