'749 in Fiero

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Fri Jul 13 15:07:35 GMT 2001

Here's the rest "cut and pasted" from his email back to me.

"1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
2.8 L V6 with 5 speed Getrag Transmission
The seats were redone in leather from Mister Mikes
Crane Compu-Cam kit with the spring, lifters, retainer (cam # 254122).
Engine bored .020 over, all new bearings, freeze plugs, etc.
1.60 ratio Roller rocker arms, high volume oil pump, stainless steel intake
and exhaust valves with lower profile on backside with swirl
TRW forged pistons, I believe they are 9.0 to 1 (the Fiero Store said they
are 9.5 to 1 but no one else could find a TRW 9.5 to 1)
The heads were ported and matched as well as the intake and exhaust.
I used a Turbo from I believe it was an 1985 2.3 L Thunderbird (It is a
Garret T3 with T3-60 trim compressor wheel, T3 standard turbine wheel, and
.63A/R housing.
The tubo is water cooled. I bought a turbo rebuild kit, some hoses,
reducers, and bypass valve from Turbonetics
Of course you know about the 749 computer with 2 bar map, knock sensor.
wastegate solenoid etc.
The exhaust system was made from cutting up my original stainless Y pipe,
install a flex section, and welding everything back to a flange I made of
3/8 steel.
The air charge inlet and outlets were made from "J" bend pipe bought from
Summit Racing The oil drain line used some AN type fittings and stainless
braided hose. An oil drain was welded into the side of the oil pan. The
exhaust comes straight out of the turbo, into a 90 degree bend, into the
convertor, then tees out to two stainless "Bullett: glass pack mufflers,
each mufflers feeds a dual tip chrome outlet. The car has polyurethane
bushings everywhere in the suspension, heavy duty rear sway bar. The car
weighs 2980 pounds with me, and all the normal junk I carry around. The
weight distribution is 57% on the rear wheels, 43% on the front wheels. I
attached a couple of pictures. I have more but they are not yet scanned
showing the engine, turbo and exhaust system out of the car as well as some
interior shots. If you want more let me know. "

Lyndon