160 Baud Interface

Ken Kelly ken73 at ken73.homeip.net
Mon Jul 16 23:09:58 GMT 2001

Darrell, I'm running Peter's 160 baud interface on my '7747. I'm only using
one transistor and two resistors, going into the serial port. Since I didn't
want to cut my original harness, I made a "pigtail" to my '7747 that
interfaces with my original harness (basically, a pair of edge card
connectors handmade from PCB.) I integrated the transistor/resistor combo
into the pigtail since it required +12v as well as ground - and my ALDL
connector doesn't have a +12v coming from it. Now I have the data line and
the ground going to my laptop.

Peter's page has the 1.0 version of his software - I am on his mailing list
and received the 1.5 version almost a year ago, but never had the time to
mess with it. I was laid off a few weeks ago and have plenty of free time
now, so I've been working with it. It works VERY well. It does exactly what
it claims to - read 160 baud ALDL data and LOG it. Mind you, it's RAW data!
It's not converted in any way, but that's what Excel is for. The log files
come out in comma-delimited format, so it's a snap to pull into Excel and
convert all the values for easier tuning.

The page for Peter's serial 160 baud reader is at:

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl160/160serial.htm

You'll probably have to e-mail Peter directly and ask him nicely for the
software, but the hardware is described on the pages. It works very well
when built with just the one transistor and two resistors. E-mail me
privately if you'd like to talk more about it.

"The Third" Ken Kelly

ken73 at ken73.homeip.net