Another Casualty

ae2598 at wayne.edu ae2598 at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 20 17:40:46 GMT 2001

Boy, I wouldn't want to play with a voltage source that the ECM uses for
its sensor measurements!  Besides, consider that the 5VDC regulator is
inside the ECM.  By drawing power from that source, you're causing the
regulator to run a little hotter!  You're better off tapping into the
incoming 12V from the alternator.  The fan wouldn't need a regulated
source, and most of the PC "muffin" fans run at 12VDC anyway.  As far as
Pentium chip fans, I wouldn't think they'd do much good for cooling the
whole ECM, anyway.  If there was one particular IC (or region of the PCB)
that needed more cooling than the rest, it might do.  But, I'm guessing
that you'd want steady airflow through the whole ECM.