OBII Scan Tool....

Jason Haines jhaines15 at home.com
Tue Jul 24 02:50:32 GMT 2001

The scan rates are not always the fault of the scan tool. You (and the scan
tools) are also at the mercy of the data bus and the update rates of the
different sensor outputs from the PCM. Keep in mind that the diagnostic port
and the data from the diagnostic port was never designed for calibration -
it is to help service technicians diagnose problems with the stock vehicle.
When the OE or OE supplier is doing calibration, they have access to high
speed sensor data from the PCM (or emulator or external sensors and data
acquisition). 4 Hz is about the best you can expect and even at that rate
some of the sensors aren't really updating - they are just giving you the
same data over and over again.

The AutoTap software works pretty well. I use AutoTap, the GM Tech 2 scanner
and the Ease scan tool/data logger (for OBD II applications) and when set up
correctly they all seem to give about the same sampling rate and sensor
update rate. I have successfully used the AutoTap software on 2000 model
year LS1 equipped vehicles (Corvette and F-body).

Just my $0.02.

Jason