BatV

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Tue Jul 24 14:30:19 GMT 2001

> From: rr [mailto:rrauscher at nni.com]
> Subject: BatV
>

> Have a good question: what is the minimum acceptable
> battery voltage during crank? I put a DVM across the
> battery terminals, pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked
> for ~10 seconds. Battery drops to ~10.7 volts and holds
> during the cranking.
>
> For a charged battery & good starter is this a bit low?

Most OEMs specify a minimum battery voltage of 6 V during crank under the
worst conditions (presumably some percentage of discharge at -40 C), and
require all electronic components necessary for starting events (ECM/PCM,
fuel pump, injectors, etc.) to work down to that voltage.  I know of one
European OEM that claims that Vbatt can drop to 4 V for up to 500 ms during
cranking events.

So, 10.7 V or so isn't bad at all.  I know that I typically see about 8 V on
my van during heat-soaked starts.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.bryantperformance.com