Was ECM question '91 and up TBI now BBC TBI

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Wed Jul 25 02:51:00 GMT 2001

> The reason why I am asking is that GM has released a new EPROM for the GM
> performance parts retro-fit TBI 502 BBC. One of my associates has built a
> 496 stroker that is in a '89 truck with a 400. If the ECM's were
compatible
> (or upgradeable with minimal hassle) then perhaps this would be a good
> calibration to start with.

That GM retro kit is based around a GEN V/VI 502 HT TBI engine, together
with a 4L80E trans and 91-93 SS exhaust and 16147060 PCM controller.  Your
bud's truck will have a different ECM that is no where near the same as this
box.  You can elect to either adapt a '7060 in place of the OE controller
(and obviate certain trans error codes, and rewire to suit), or, you can
recal the existing OE '8747 box with readily available software such as from
Tuner Cat.  I'd opt for the later option, as you get to keep keep your stock
box & wiring in tact.  If you had a copy of the retro 502 cal, it might be
useful as a benchmark for comparative purposes, but that's about it.

Is your bud's 496 going to also be TBI?  If so, then there's a whole bunch
of other stuff you'll absolutely need to know, way beyond the pure software
requirements............

Walt.

PS:  If anyone has a copy of the retro 502 binary image, I sure would
appreciate a copy sent this way.  To buy one costs over 10 times what a
"normal" MEMCAL costs from the dealer.