85 Vette Idle Problem - HELP!!!!

Matthew David Sandine msandine at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 27 00:20:59 GMT 2001

I did a lot more troubleshooting on my '85 than I care to admit.
Although this wasn't my problem, it sounds like it could be that your
burnoff module bit the dust and crud is accumulating on the sensor wire.
Here is a lot of the stuff I posted...

http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Forum57/HTML/007197.html

http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Forum57/HTML/007299.html

My burnoff module had been toast a long time ago and it never set a
code. I never set a MAF code either, even though Diacom readings were
all over the place. The 85 DOES NOT have burnoff relays as some people
may suggest you replace. The burnoff module is behind the 'breadbox'.

You can't tune for broken parts, believe me...learned the hard way. For
the longest time I thought the problem I had was in the tuning. It ended
up being that the assembly line worker got lazy, soldered my pickup coil
leads reversed, and that in turn made me work on her a lot more than I
should have. I found that one out by breaking the pickup coil pigtail
and reversing polarity of the plug.

A funny thing happens when you reverse the polarity of something that
has it's polarity reversed--IT WORKS THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO!

I had a pretty stout cam running with a decent idle and a stock chip for
a short time. The stock calibration worked for the most part. -Matt-