New L88?

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Mon Jun 18 13:55:59 GMT 2001

> From: Gonyou, Jeremy (.) [mailto:jgonyou at ford.com]
> Subject: RE: New L88?
>

> Ouch.  The thing is that the 4.6 is by no means a benchmark.
> Check out the Lexus V8s.  Remember the ZR1?  Imagine if Honda
> made a VTec V8 out of 2 prelude engines ... 400 hp out of 4.4 liters.

But the thing is, the 5.7 pushrod V8 is still physically smaller than a 4.0
L DOHC motor (and even the 3.0 L Nissan V6).  There's no apparent mileage
penalty for the displacement.  So, while the power-per-unit-diplacement
isn't that great, the power-per-unit-packaging-volume looks just fine.  I've
had this discussion with Dave Hill, and came away very satisfied with his
argument.

> But I don't think we have to fear a LPE option in the new
> vettes.  There's an article in the current Car and Driver
> about these engines.  It's actually a bored and stroked 350
> as opposed to the old big block 427 from golden years.
> Anyway, I have a hard time seeing GM selling LPE engines
> (should be the other way around).

GM already had a relationship with Callaway over 10 years ago, so I don't
see why they couldn't team up with Lingenfelter to produce some
special-edition package.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante