New L88?

Joe Scruggs TA81Joe at home.com
Thu Jun 21 05:00:26 GMT 2001

I've read this discussion with interest and resisted comment.  . . . but I
can't resist, so here I go!

To compare GM to Ford to European to Japanese and even motorcycles would be
endless and futile.  Besides the obvious subjectivity when comparing
engines - cars - technology, we also end up with "one-up"ping each other
with supposedly even higher tech marvels.

The discussion began with comments that GM should be "embarassed" and
"ashamed" of it's engineering, i.e., push-rod engines for their elite
vehicles (a new L88? - with push rods!?).  I understand why these comments
are being made, but they are misplaced.  Of course, GM fans are quick to
defend their own and fight back with stats, spec's and examples.  But the
issue was engineering and technology and this, fortunately, is fairly
straightforward.  An engineer's objective is to design, redesign or improve
existing designs to meet a set of requirements, which normally include
specific economic guidelines.  In the case of a large auto maker, their
engineers are given stringent guidelines by management, including emissions,
fuel mileage, manufacturing (and retooling) costs, research costs, reduction
in parts, reliability, safety, etc.  Let's not forget what the sales and
marketing people want (cheaper, more style, more luxury, faster, quicker).
Who do you think gets the most attention from management?

If you left the engineering entirely up to the engineers' discretion, they
would be competing with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche -- probably
something to compete with an Indy racing engine.  That's not practical.  GM
makes cars to fit certain niches.  Unfortunately, they don't make 'em to
compete with the exotic foreign jobs, because they (Sales & Marketing and
management) don't allow them to try.

We can only guess why they want to go with a new L88, but a good guess might
be that Marketing believes there would be a lot of sales for those wanting
the big blocks of the "good ole days".  They don't care how -- just make it
affordable! -- but make it hot, too!  DOHCs might not be exotic anymore, but
it probably doesn't fit the guidelines (especially packaging, as some
mentioned).  Instead they are tinkering with controls and efficiency to
wring out every ft-lb of torque and mpg they can get, while meeting the
demands of marketing.

People are claiming that GM is losing its history of excellent engineering.
GM has made a reputation on the SBC as an engineering marvel, not because it
outperformed all other engines or used the best technology, but because it
was an engine most people could work on and the aftermarket supported it at
a more affordable price.  Racing legends and history were built on it.
Because it HAS lasted so long, we continue to call it an engineering marvel.
Is it time for a new workhorse?  Possibly.  It took many years before Ford
hit on a comparable engine with its 5.0L (considering aftermarket support
and general popularity) and now they abandoned it for a new engine.  They
might have made a mistake, its yet to be seen.  The aftermarket does seem to
be supporting the new engines, though.  If it does work, it might be a sign
that GM's engineering might be hurting by not searching for the next GM
workhorse.  One that can benefit from more "high-tech" approaches such as
DOHC's and the like.

This was a long comment, but I did not want it to get by that it is not a
question whether GM should be embarassed of their engineering if they make a
new L88 push-rod engine.  It is more a question of whether they should be
embarassed on their marketing direction.  If they make alot of money on it,
it was a good marketing approach.  If it turns out to be an awesome engine,
then it was also good engineering because they met the requirements whether
it is high-tech or not. ....And we'll love it!

Joe