7749 Turbo Sunbird Diag help needed.

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Sat Jun 30 18:09:07 GMT 2001

After years of playing with the syclone.
 I finally got to work with a 89 Turbo Sunbird. (same ECM & code).
 I didn't even have to change the default Syclone VIN setting
in my diacom.   I was curious if any listers have played
 with the T-Sunbird.  My freind who owns it, recently replace
a siezed turbo, and still can't get more than 1-2psi of boost.
After years of turbo tinkering, I thought "this will be EASY"..
 " I AM TURBO STUD!"    (yea-right)
Just for diagnostic purposes, I pulled the hose off the
wastegate actuator and disconnected the exhaust down pipe,
in an attempt to get more boost.  Now 2-3 psi.  I reconnected the
exhaust and it went back to 1-2 PSI.  The turbo, cat & exhaust
are almost  new.  The wastegate duty cycle in the  data stream
is being held at 100% by the ECM, becuase the limit of 7psi is
never even remotely being approached.
  I've confirmed the  wastegate flapper is staying shut and
I eliminated the exhaust system as a possible cause by
opening the downpipe..  I also pulled out
the air cleaner element tempoarily.  No change noted.
I also remove and inspected the turbo to TB pipe, fittings & clamps.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Mike V    no longer turbo stud