Converting a Mopar 440 to GM TBI translated

Gerald Pelnar wd0fyf at mpks.net
Thu Mar 8 05:43:50 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: Converting a Mopar 440 to GM TBI translated

Hi all--

> You migh consider using a Chrysler electronic ignition distributor with a
GM
> ignition module.  You will need to permanently prevent the vacuum and
mechanical
> advance mechanisms from moving in order to take advantage of the ecm;s
ability to
> adjust spark timing.

I'm planning a Chrysler conversion and hoped that was the way to do it.

> Beyond any doubt, the best ecm to use is the 1227747, which was used in
most 8 cyl
> tbi pickups, and some 4.3 v6 applications.  Search the gmecm home page,
there's a
> ton of info about it, and there are many free tools to help tune it when
you're
> ready.

Oh goodie, more good news.  :)

> Cadillac tbi systems can have subtle differences from other GM systems.
Sometimes
> they have no IAC to control idle speed, but use an external motor to open
the
> throttle.  This scheme is not designed to work with a "regular" GM tbi
ecm.  I have
> not heard of anyone adapting the Caddy system for use with a 7747 or one
of its
> cousins.

Bzzzzt! Not the answer I was looking for. I was hoping to use a 7747 with
the Chrysler throttle body, but it also uses a throttle kicker motor. I was
talking to a Chevy mechanic (old Chrysler man) today about my conversion. He
also mentioned the Caddy TBI system and the possibility of using a Ford
external IAC. Any ideas about the compatability of the Ford IAC and the
7747? I would have to build a spacer to put under the throttle body to get a
place to run the idle air in to the manifold.

I'm open to suggestions and comment about the throttle motor thing. Anyone
know of any applications that use a stepper motor throttle actuator?

Gerald Pelnar
McPherson, KS
wd0fyf at mpks.net
http://www.mpks.net/homepage/wd0fyf/