Possibly OT, ??s about a GM feedback Q-jet

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Mar 9 15:57:50 GMT 2001

That's not a computer controlled carburetor.  The connector you're seeing is an
auxilliary accelerator pump enrichment device.  The carbs are designed to run
relatively lean mixtures.  This introduces the problem of lean stumble during cold
engine operation.  To remove the stumble, the temp controlled accelerator pump
enrichment allows an "extra" shot of fuel.

You haven't mentioned it, but I'll bet your blazer was originally equipped with a
305.  The "ecm" you're seeing is only a spark retard box, designed to sense knock
and back off timing if it's present.

You're engine's not computer controlled.  You can remove the spark control box, and
a simple jumper between 2 wires to the spark control box will allow the engine to
run without replacing the module.  I've seen many of the spark control units (BTW,
does your fender have an ESC badge on it?) fail intermittently, stranding a vehicle
beside the road for a couple of hours each time.  The budget fix is to jumper the
two wires.  It's been a couple of years since I've done this, so I won't try to
remember which two.

Disconnecting the extra fuel circuit can cause some severe cold weather
hesitation.  Sometimes retuning can make up for this.  Sometimes not, as some of
these carbs had a hesitation from the factory.  Best bet if you don't want to work
with it is to get an older Q jet.

If the carburetor is truly dumping too much fuel you might try disassembling it and
looking around the metering well plugs for signs of fuel leakage.  It's very
common.  A good job with epoxy can repair this condition for many years.

Shannen