Bin library, damaged bins

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Mar 9 08:41:28 GMT 2001

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Other than sequence number, are there variations in the cal's?  One cal is
> sufficient to provide a starting point for tuning.  Interesting variations could be
> placed with the original in their own directory for study by the curious.
>
> > Question: I've got multiple copies with different sequence numbers of
> > various bins.  I keep all these duplicates - and put the sequence number
> > in the file name.  When I upload these, should I include all the
> > sequence numbers, or should I pick just one?

In one instance, I've read two MEMCALs with the same BCC (ATXY8289) that
had slightly difference contents (and a different sequence number).
Because these are Buick 3800 bins, they don't use a sumcheck.  I'll have
to find a third ATXY to figure out which is correct.  I haven't
encountered any other stock undamaged bins where one BCC has multiple versions.

The sequence numbers can be useful to track a bin.  If there are
multiple copies and versions of a BCC, the sequence numbers can help
determine which one is the stock version:  If there are multiple
identical copies just with different sequence numbers, that's probably
the stock version.  If there are multiples of the same sequence, those
all count as just one copy - which might have been modified.

There are other useful uses for the sequence number.  The short summary
is that I've found it useful to keep all instances - even though it
could mean using 32K or more of disk space to hold four unique bytes.  I
don't know if this is worthwhile in the bin library.

Programmer wrote:

> How about deleting non-OE bins ?
> "Damaged" bins are junk--but that's just my opinion.

Two or three of the damaged bins might be recoverable someday.  It might
be useful to keep those (in a seperate directory).  There is at least
one that is all FF's - no sense keeping it.