motor go boom

David P. Chernicoff david at cgroup.com
Wed Mar 14 17:10:33 GMT 2001

At 07:22 AM 3/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>I don't know what I am going to do right now - I am thinking about giving up
>on the whole hot-rodding idea and building a near-stock motor with the
>factory 2bbl TBI wheezer.  I am thinking that cruise advance did this to me.
>Comments anyone?

When I freshened my motor last spring (355 LT1, running 16psig boost) I
decided to replace all of the rods with fresh ones. After all, they were
the stock rods, had 60k miles on them, and though they looked good, it
seemed like a cheap thing to do to insure trouble free operation. So a
fresh set of GMPP rods went on.

4000 miles later one of the rods separated and sent shrapnel through the
rest of the motor. A 1" section of the rod just disintegrated. The rod
wasn't twisted, no other signs of problems, it didn't even spin the
bearing. The motor kept running, and if a piece of metal hadn't gone
through the side of the oil pan, there wouldn't even have been a leak.

That almost made me give up on this sport :-)

David<
http://www.cgroup.com/david