What ECM should I use for my Mopar 440 conversion project?

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Fri Mar 16 18:08:49 GMT 2001

Brian Roth wrote:

> Which ECM should I use? Can I use one from a 4.3 Astro or S10 or do I have
> to have one from a V8? Doesn't the computer determine engine speed from the
> distributor which would make it off by two cylinders if it counts every
> pulse if I use a 6 cylinder ECM on an 8 cylinder? Do I need an ECM for a
> truck?   It looks to me like the truck ECM's and the car ECM's do not even
> have the same connectors.

I think the 747 would be a perfect place to start.  It'll be in full
size pickups and Astro vans, but not S-10s.  Check Ludis' WWW page for
applications and years (www.cruzers.com/~ludis).  Doesn't matter what
engine the ECM itself is from as long as you have a calibration and
calpak or whatever it is called from a V8.  The "car" equivalent of the
747 has a very similar pinout although not exactly the same.

> How about the distributor pickup? Someone wrote me that I can put a GM
> pickup in my mopar distributor. Can I use a pickup from a  4.3 or even a 2.8
> for that matter or does it have to come from a V8. How about a Caddy 4.1? Do
> I have to start with a mopar dissy that has no advance or can I just disable
> the mechanical and vacuum advance on my current dissy?

Jason Weir has a WWW page about injecting his CJ-7
(http://home.att.net/~jweir/home.htm).  Here's what he said about the
distributor:

Distributor - As for the distributor, If your vehicle doesn't already
have one, you will need one with a magnetic pickup. From my experience
the
GM ignition unit is not very picky about what type of pickup is used. In
my Jeep I used the stock distributor and just added a GM connector to
the
wires so they would connect to the ignition module.
      The distributor must also be modified so that the vacuum and
centrifugal advance mechanisms not longer function. With this swap the
computer
will have complete control over timing once the initial timing is set.

I know there have been other Chrysler conversions...  Have you been thru
the archives?

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com