Try again - help w/ new motor

akallotte at juno.com akallotte at juno.com
Mon Mar 19 21:10:33 GMT 2001

Sorry if this is the third time you guys have sen this, but I emailed it
two days ago and I still haven't got it back from the list.

Here's what I posted on thirdgen.org and corvetteforum.com with few
results.  I hate to bring it up here, but you guys are smarter and more
helpful.  Plus, I'm thinking it's a computer problem.

"I've got what sounds like a rich rolling condition.
This is the first time I've started the new motor. I have great heads,
edelcrap high flow base and runners, SVO 24# injectors, 218/226 510/510
114LSA cam, and 355 cubes. I have to modulate the throttle to get it
started and then keep a little on the throttle to keep it alive. It runs
up to ~1500 rpm, drops down to ~900, almost dies, throws a quick SES, and
revs back to 1500, and over again.

I set my chip for 26# injector constant. Timing is 4 adv when it almost
dies and runs up to 30 adv when it revs up. Base timing does not affect
the condition. Took out a bunch of turns off the AFPR, which moved the
rolling range down a couple hundred rpm. Of course, my AutoXray is not
connecting and the quick SES flash is not storing a code. Car smells
rich.

I'm going to buy a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow to see if I'm in the
ballpark. I'll also check for vacuum leaks with a butane torch. I thought
the chip may not be working, but it's not throwing a code."

Today, I checked the fp which was way low.  I put it back to stock and
I'm running very rich.  The afpr also has a vacuum leak, but fuel is not
making its way into the cap.  I just unplugged the vacuum  hose to it and
plugged that hose.  I'll save that problem for later.  The AutoXray is
not giving me any useful data.  They have had problems reading Vettes.
One scan gave me good data before I started the motor.  Another gave me
bad data while the motor was running.  The rest of the scans say vehicle
not responding.  Key on engine off field service mode gives code 12 only.
 Key on engine off gives constant SES.  Unplugging MAF helped condition,
but car would not idle at all.  Unplugging IAC did nothing.  Rechecked my
eprom and it matches what I programmed into it.  If someone can look at
it (32B) in their favorite software and compare, I'd appreciate the help.

I am feeling that the ECM is not reading or following my new program.  I
think a lot of the problem is from my super rich condition.  ECM could be
fried.  How do I tell?  It's giving me code 12 in field service.  I
didn't find any vacuum leaks.  I can't get a handle on timing or IAC or
TPS until the car is stable.

Update:  Can't seem to get any ECM data with my scanner or my friend's
scanner.  Manual says ECM or MEMCAL is bad.