Trivial observation about cars and ECMs

Gonyou, Jeremy (.) jgonyou at ford.com
Wed Mar 28 15:35:49 GMT 2001

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I worked with a guy who used to work
at a dealership.  If someone came in with a drivability issue, the ecm came
out.  When the factory asked for the "bad" ecms, they rigged up a jig to run
120V through the pins...

Jeremy

Having parted out another car last weekend, I couldn't help but notice
something.  Seems like nearly every car I get to strip down has a
remanufactured ECM in it!  It's uncanny.. I'd have to guess that about 8
of the last 10 cars I've parted out did not have the stock ECM.  Anyone
notice a similar trend?  I can't believe that the stock ECMs had such a
high failure rate.. Could it be that ECMs have a bad rap among service
techs, and automatically get swapped out when a car comes in with
drivability problems?