Trivial observation about cars and ECMs

John Martin gm.man at gte.net
Thu Mar 29 03:57:45 GMT 2001

> Hold on here!

I agree with Shannen, I also work for GM. Also in GM's Hall of Shame is the
1227730. Some may be replaced without cause but I doubt very many. On a real
hot day, we would usually get 2-3 tow ins from ECM failure under warrenty.
The rest were usually shorted multeks, cause of lots of driver failure.
 In the early days of the 1227730 and 1227727 you were lucky if you got a
gm reman that worked out of the box. You could replace one for a hard code
42 and end up with a 15 and a 21. Try the next ECM (right out of the box)
and get a hard code 43 . The new remans (also new number) are extremely
reliable. A rep for GM once told me they sold the old boards to the
aftermaket rebuilders and redesigned several ECM's giving them  new part
numbers. The new numbers seem to be very reliable. Underhood PCM's also seem
to be extremely reliable. Percentage of failure, don't know. I only see the
broken ones. Wouldn't even consider an aftermarket ECM, GM won't even take
them for a core. Which ECM are we talking about?  MY  $.02

John