EST Distributor

Keith D. Miller kdmiller at westnet.com
Fri Mar 30 01:25:29 GMT 2001

Electronic Spark Timing (so says The General).

>  what I have noticed, & I am guessing but want to clear
> it up is that EST is more a scheme than anything.  this
> means that the Distributor controls the spark duties
> w/the small input from the ECM for retard & LHM.  this
> means that the distributor conditions the PU coil, has
> the driver in it for the HV coil & outputs a signal that
> is used to determine RPM.

The General goes on to say. "All spark timing changes in
the EST distributer are done electronically by an Electronic
Control Module (ECM) which monitors information from various
engine sensors, computes the desired spark timing and
signals the distrubuter to change the timing accordingly. A
back-up spark advance system is incorporated to signal the
ignition module in case of ECM failure. No vacuum or
mechanical advance is used."

Keith