Data from drag strip

Ross Myers ponty at axis.jeack.com.au
Tue May 1 13:16:15 GMT 2001

> we had a small discussion about Intake Air Temp a while back & I had
noticed
> that by the time I was @ the end of the 1/4 that the IAT was about 3
degrees
> cooler (I have a super ram, cold air intake & a 383.

Bob,

In the logging of my car (5L Holden PFI V8) I have noticed the IAT changes
big time during driving.
The IAT is located between 2 runners on the manifold, so it gets some nice
heat soak.
So, what I have found is it usually sits around 85degC on a 'normal' day. On
one particular 'blast' off the stop lights the IAT temp dropped to 48degC
from 86degC in about 8sec at WOT (What License!!). Guess there was PLENTY of
colder air rushing by, and it actually took another 40 or so seconds before
it was in the 80's again.
Also, first start on a colder morning, the IAT gets to normal temp range
quicker than the CTS. The IAT is at 50degC, and the CTS is still at
24degC!!. (Yes, the cooling system is O.K).
Makes me think I should look into the IAT adjustment tables some more.

Bye,
Ross Myers