Thanks re 3.4DOHC info

D. Barry Stubbs z24man at bellsouth.net
Thu May 3 03:23:19 GMT 2001

Thanks to all regarding the huge 3.4DOHC thread I started a while back.
Although most of the info came in after-the-fact, its good to know (in a
sick, twisted sort of way) that others have problems with this engine.
FWIW, here's what the end result was.  FYI, this was a 93 auto.  The O2
sensor "hat" fell off the sensor base, leaving some extra clearance for
the socket.  A friend from work brought over his excellent selection of
tools and a ratcheting tie-down.  Since this engine does not have the
dogbone with the extra bolt hole, we used the tie-down to rotate the
engine forward a good bit.  Installation of the sensor was a pain, but
with some creative tooling, it did happen.

As an aside, I found the plugs fairly easy to do.  I had to guide the
wires and boots down with both hands, and for cylinders 1 & 3, I did
have to pry the engine forward just slightly for clearance to seat the
boot.  Otherwise, not too bad a problem and no plugs fell out of the
socket, luckily.  I thought the t-handles at the top of each boot was a
nice touch, especially for the odd numbered cylinders.  I found a neat
Craftsman swivel joint that's in the Impact tools section... looks like
a CV joint, so it doesn't bind on sharp angles.  Worked like a charm for
the rear plug R&R.  No intake removal necessary, thank goodness.  After
changing the O2 sensor, plugs, and fuel filter (which I believe was the
original), and cleaning the TB and IAC, I must say that the engine
picked up quite a bit of umph.  It actually will lay a wee bit of rubber
in first, even with 245 tires and an auto.

Thanks again!

(Amazing what trouble men will go through for the approval of a female.)

--Barry
z24man at bellsouth.net
AIM: thez24man
88 2.8 5spd Z24 15.8 at 85